Kitchen Chronicles — Butternut Squash Soup
Hello, Hello Trotters! Welcome to the first episode of the Kitchen Chronicles brought to you by none other than The Trotting Traveller! I’m not the most domesticated of people on the planet and could probably write a book on disasters in the kitchen. One time…I almost singed off my eyebrows (insert face palm here) — but I’ll save that story for another day.
Living in the great white north (no not the North Pole…I am not Santa) can certainly get cold here. One of my favourite things to eat when it’s cold… is soup! Tomato Bisque Soup, Chicken Noodle Soup & of course Butternut Squash Soup… Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup to be more specific.
This is the second time I tried to make butternut squash soup. The first time I tried the classic recipe which, to be honest, has virtually no flavour. I’m use to eating very fragrant & flavourful foods and a soup with a hint of cinnamon didn’t cut it. For this reason I chose to try the Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash soup. The combination of garlic, ginger and Thai curry paste makes a delightful explosion of flavour in your mouth! Also the first time I made the soup I did not own a blender…and used a magic bullet. This is NOT a good idea. Magic Bullets are very small and require several transfers of soup into the appliance, the heat from the soup causes the bottom blade to become stuck and all in all causes a HUGE MESS. There was soup EVERYWHERE. As you can tell, my first experience was not positive so PLEASE learn from my mistakes. See below for ingredients and directions. Good Luck!!
1 tbsp Canola Oil
2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
1 small yellow onion diced
1 tsp ginger (freshly grated)
2 tbsps thai red curry paste
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 medium sized butternut squash (peeled and seeded)
1 can coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp salt (more to taste at the end)
1/3 cup cilantro chopped (for garnish) — Optional
1/3 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts (for garnish) — Optional
The cooking process is actually very simple. This recipe can be made on stove top or in a slow cooker. I made it on the stove top but for instructions to make on the slow cooker check out the website indicated below.
1. Over medium heat in a large soup pot add garlic & onions. Sauté until fragrant & slightly darkened (about 3 min). Add in ginger & Thai red curry paste and cook for another 3 min stirring occasionally.
2. Add in cubed butternut squash soup and slowly pour in the broth. Stir to combine.
3. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 20 min or until butternut squash is tender. Remove from heat, and let cool.
4. Transfer mixture from pot to blender. Mix on “smooth” until completely blended. Add in lime juice and coconut milk. Blend again until smooth.
5. Pour into serving bowls and add cilantro & peanuts for garnish
I hope you enjoy this delectable dish and have a positive experience in making it! I’d love to hear how it turns out and if you have any other tips or ideas to make the recipe better! For the slow cooker directions check out this website.
Trotting Traveller ♥